Crofton Connection VOL 1 Issue 1 May
We at MEHRA are excited to add our hometown to the printed and online world of the multimedia family.
The Crofton Connection
Making our town home!
WOW! We are excited to say the least with all the outpouring of support and participation in our Mother’s Day Riddle Drawing! Thank you to all the artisan’s at MEHRA Publishing and the wonderful community of Crofton. The riddle will be printed in the 1st edition of the Crofton Connection and all Mother’s who call me with the answer, your name will be placed into the drawings!You have until May 10th to win an entry and you must be present to win!
See you at the Crofton Diner Sat May 11th at TBA time and have fun figuring out the riddle!
~Here are some examples of the Grand Prize’s to date but more are being added. Prizes will be a custom version of the Artisan’s Work depicted below.
To Us, all the prizes are Grand so, we will have 4 grand prize drawings at The Crofton Diner TBA time.
The actual prizes will be on display at Participating Crofton Businesses after May 1st.
1. A beautiful, hand made purse by Swanky Shanks from her Double Hearts Line. You can see more examples of her purses here. www.swankyshanks.com
2. A gorgeous set of inspired custom jewelry from Sandra Knighten’s Eden’s Creations www.edenscreations.net
3. Wm “Dennis” Maze’s KY Tin Folks has donated to the drawings an adorable (pictures coming soon!) yard or garden art. A cute little spring inspired gal made entirely of re purposed items.
4. J-Nabb ROCKS, is donating a custom built mailbox, size and details to follow. We re contacting J. Johnson at the Monument Service to see if he could donate to the drawing a plaque for the mailbox. Keeping our fingers crossed! www.j-Nabb ROCKS
Growing Our Community
We are excited to announce the new Crofton Connection. A monthly community newsletter, all about Crofton. We hope you will look for the newsletter coming soon and join us in all the community fun and coming summer activities!
- Free space for not for profits, church news and activities.
- Feature local artists, community projects & activities.
- Custom and web space available in June.
- Calendar of city and park activities.
- Feature historical articles; the History of Crofton, Our Begginings Crofton Hotel and the Burkholders Registry 1901-1911 will be published in a book to benefit the Crofton Gordon Park!
- Many of our families have made Crofton home for many generations. The BurkholderBro’s registry mentions nearly every resident from 1901-1911. Partial listings each month until completed.
- Genealogy, pictures, and history of our founding families.
Do you have a community announcement? Does your group have special activities planned? Have some memories or history about Crofton? Know some history or want to add your business to the Crofton Connection? Contact us before April 26! Watch out for our new community newsletter, if you have information to contribute or a big announcement; contact us before the 26th of every month MEHRA Publishing, 270-985-8568.
Making Our Town Home
Issue No 1 to be delivered to participating business outlets in Crofton on Wednesday May1, 2013.
We are excited to include in our first issue the feature article The History of Crofton, Our beginnings where we begin our hisatory with the James Edmund Croft family. A beautiful portrait of Mr Croft can be seen at The Crofton City Hall.
June Tenth Looking for any information about the history of the James Bass Park which was located on Highway 800 on the edge of Crofton. We are looking to write a feature article of the history of the park and the celebrations which drew many of the Black community to Crofton for June 10th celebrations. Anyone who has information to contribute, we would live to heat from you!
Future Historical Article….The life and times of Crofton, 1903-1911. We are currently working hard to transcribe the old Burkholder’s Mercantile accounting books, which were found some years ago in an abandoned building by the late, Ms. Kathryn Parrott. A fascinating look into the daily lives of the families of Crofton. Your ancestors and family from yesteryear could be listed among the customers at this historical landmark in our beautiful little town.
Join us next month for the first of many transcriptions to be printed and online versions.
The Church of Oldburg of Mannington has moved to the building at the corner of Highways 800 & 41 at the caution light. Regular services scheduled.
We are always collecting food, hygiene products, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, diapers and wipes if any club or organization would like to take that on as a project.
Please visit the Branch Outreach website and out all the wonderful community activities!
Donations are always welcome & appreciated.
God Bless You!
Gordon Park News
May 4th Derby Day Community Breakfast at the Gordon Park 7am-11am.
Memorial Day Opening~ May 27th The Splash Park opens!
Call to schedule your event, family reunion, wedding and much more at the beautiful Gordon Park in Crofton.
For more information or reservations, Call (270) 424-5111
Park Committee Board meets on April 29th at 7pm at the City Hall.
In the Works
The newly organized Crofton Community Committee will kick-start the community activities with a Master Pit BBQ Contest & silent desert auction. There will be live music and everyone gets a vote for the best BBQ!
Remember the ice storm of 2009? Some of our community was without power for 14 days! The committee is dedicated to building community disaster organization, preparedness and shelter organization.
Click The Pictures Above to Crofton City Website